Saturday 28 January 2012

‘Aussie Day’


26/01/2012
As we know, Australians are a patriotic people and as such, they like to have a special day held annually to celebrate how good they are [oh to commemorate they day they first set afoot on Australian soil]. This special day was creatively named; Australia Day.
It was our second day in Byron Bay and I'm happy to say the rain finally decided to hold off and let some of the heat / sunny skies through. I [Luke] happen to really like Byron. It’s not by far a large place or full to the brim with activities to entertain yourself with, but I like the chilled out atmosphere and social life I presume must be had here. The main street is lined with small cafes and nice looking restaurants most of which spill out onto the streets to give a very open, communal feeling to the area. This most apparent at night when the street artists play their songs and diners stand up from their meals for a little dance and joining in is encouraged to every passer-by. None of this really seems to be for the odd dollar thrown their way either, it’s seemingly more just for the fun of playing and the creation of an atmosphere.

I diverse… Back to Aussie Day!
The day started with Scott and I heading to the local store to buy our essential items for the day ahead; Vodka and Australian memorabilia such as hats and flags [traitors of our nation, I know].  Then we proceeded to the beach to make the most of the morning warmth and it finally gave me chance to see if my waterproof camera is actually well, waterproof!



Kudos to Olympus as so far-so good!
Partly thanks to all the rain we’ve been having, the waves were out in force, just how we like it! A few broken bones and near-drowning’s later we met up with Scott’s friends from Coogee at their hostel located by the beach front who were all dressed to the nines in their Australian clobber too [so thankfully we weren’t the only ones – in fact I think that they way outdid us!].



We spent the afternoon having a few drinks and having a laugh in the pool, followed by a pretty pathetic attempt of volleyball… [Blurred vision + a ball flying towards your face = bad times].


I would love to go into more detail about the day / nights activities, but my recollection is somewhat phased, but what I can say is that a good day was had by all and I think we taught the Aussie’s a thing or two about celebration.

No comments:

Post a Comment