Thursday 23 February 2012

Barrier Reef or a mass of Asian Throw-up?


18/02/2012
We travelled from one beach house to another, Scotty’s Beach House in Mission Beach to Cairns Beach House in, well Cairns. Free wireless internet, we’re in heaven! Short-lived unfortunately as the next morning we got up early and headed towards the docks to start a diving trip around the Barrier Reef. 

I won’t lie, it was a strange trip. We started off on a boat of around 70 passengers and 16 crew members. As soon as we entered the ship everything felt a bit chaotic and regimented, a slight oxymoron but it’s the only way I can describe it. Half the boat was full of Japanese trying to understand what to do until one of the Japanese staff members could translate and the other half was given a quick command of ‘your gear is here, grab and sit upstairs’. We then had to endure almost two hours of half the passengers on the ship barfing up their breakfasts until we reached the reef. Asians can’t handle the sea it seems. 

I really wanted to do a few more dives, and I know Scott did too, but unfortunately we are both completely broke at the moment so we had to settle for snorkelling. We went to two locations [not too far from one another], the first was a bit deeper and we saw larger fish and swam with another turtle and second was a lot shallower so all the fish/coral seemed a lot more colourful and you could touch it which was cool. And just for a cheap laugh, this is what sexiness looks like wearing stinger suits…


To be honest, as we had only done the Whitsundays a few days before, the fascination of the reef was slightly muted for us. We also slightly disagreed with each other on which was better; I think the reef here was a lot more vibrant here and I found the snorkelling slightly more interesting, however Scott has the opposing opinion. So unfortunately, I can’t tell you which was best. I guess it’s retrospective. 

 
After that our snorkelling sessions we boarded a second boat along with around 30 people from the original 70. The second boat was a bit bigger, and housed the cabins which we would use to sleep in that night. Immediately the hectic atmosphere dissipated and a more chilled out and relaxed vibe took its place. The crew were much calmer and gave us a quick guideline of what the rest of the day’s activities would be, and the also what we were doing for the following morning. For us snorkelers it was a case of ‘jump in and out whenever we’ve stopped moving’ and we could just go wherever we liked [within reason], whereas we had to stay with a guide on the other ship.



As there were less people on this ship, we had a better opportunity to interact with the other guests, especially during the ‘downtime’ between dives and the catered meals. This made the trip much more enjoyable.


That afternoon on our last snorkel / dive location I finally got to do something that I really wanted to try… swim with sharks. I was just minding my own business snorkelling by myself by the reef edge when I felt something swim by my side. I knew I was alone as Scott had gone back to the ship a few minutes earlier, but I initially assumed it was a diver coming up to give a scare. It quickly came into vision however to shatter those thoughts. I let out a surprised, underwater scream until I saw another swim by on my other side, followed by another. I thought it would be really cool to swim with sharks, and I knew they weren’t exactly going to try and kill me, attack rate is minimal, but even-so I headed right back for the boat. It may have freaked me out a little. Gutted.

Gotta love a night’s sleep on a boat, feels like you’re been rocked like a baby. Waking up refreshed we spent the morning eating, chatting and having a last swim in the ocean before heading back to shore.

We had a good time, it was just a shame we did it so close to our previous boat / reef trip, felt a bit ‘been there, done that’. But we did meet some nice people and enjoy our boat/hotel experience. Made us want to go on a cruise.




No comments:

Post a Comment